Monday 2 March 2009

1st day of school.

Does anyone remember their first day of school? Bad memory or good? I'm leaning towards bad.

2 year olds know absolutely nothing. They don't even get English lessons from the main English teachers so I don't know what I'm supposed to do!

3 year olds - very cute! My favourite age group! But know nothing. Don't get my games. At least the teachers left me to it though. Not too bad.

4 year olds - just don't get the games. I can't explain the games therefore they can't play them. Simple as that.

6 year olds - not at the level that i was expecting. Plus their teachers make them sit in rows properly, hands under desks, backs straight, in order to practice for primary school. (Who, by the way i caught sight marching earlier - weird regimes.) Anyway, so the teacher gets really antsy if i let them shout out (which i do) and run around (which i do.) Actually it's quite funny. Until the kids get a bit playful and the teacher smacks them or drags them away. I feel like it's my fault when that happens. but they're 6, they need to move!

I wouldn't be able to control them without their class "mothers". Their the ones who clean the snot and tears. But at the same time, every time i approach a kid, they flinch because they think I'm about to smack them one. It's not really nice to have that with such cute kids. I wanna give them a chance to tell me their names or whatever but the "mothers" just shout at them and then move on so they never get to speak.

I dunno. I'm no expert, but I'm realising more and more how differently the Chinese view education.

And feeding - they feed the kids umteen times a day. I'm not sure why.

I'm going to drink my tea and relax now. I have great respect for all my teachers. Very brave!

Peace out. xxx

1 comment:

  1. Well, let's be honest, you always were a trouble-maker in school. Uncontrollable, they called you...

    I have to say, it sounds very odd. But I suppose we're so caught up in what we know, that when someone does it differently, it's not necessarily wrong, it's just different. I hope the kids open up and you begin to feel to slightly more relaxed about it. Much love.

    ReplyDelete