Friday 24 April 2009

English Corner

English corner is a group of primary aged school kids from the local community that get together on a Friday evening in the library to be hassled by a crazy Swedish girl and me.

Today was no exception.

So, we're playing naughts and crosses but before naughting or crossing, they answer a question on a various topic.

Animals comes up: Name 3 animals with 6 legs. The answers given? Butterfly, Bee and finally...................................... 3 people! I love their humor! It actually made me laugh. We gave them a point just for that.

Then, food comes up. I, so cleverly, ask them to name 3 food items beginning with the letter R. Rice was as far as we got for a number of minutes. Eventually, some smart alec pipes in with 'red apple' - once again humor prevailed. But no one, not even their highly intelligent teacher (me) could think of a food item they would know that worked. So, i whip out my Chinese phrasebook, look up some R words, and after 5 minutes of dithering, found rabbit. Yes, tudou! (In Chinese). So i showed a young girl who said it in Chinese and english. Sparking numourous debates as to whether or not you eat rabbit.

Colours. Thyra calls up a student and wants to ask what colour something is. She's looking around for inspiration. meanwhile i have lost it and shout out 'water!' She didn't appreciate my imput. Some students said white though - weird.

Finally, a question bugging me. What animal does not have a tail? Help! And no insects allowed. Frog is already taken, Thyra claimed it. Go!

On other news... i'm broke. I sent 3 parcels of stuff home and it cost a lot. So a cheap weekend for me! No unecessary spenditure! (Aside from my long weekend away next weekend - yay! I need a good break!)

Finally, i love you all. Take care. I'll blog again soon.

xxx

7 comments:

  1. "Animals comes up: Name 3 animals with 6 legs. The answers given? Butterfly, Bee and finally...................................... 3 people! I love their humor! It actually made me laugh. We gave them a point just for that."

    That's actually genius :P


    and a Gorilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, they can even joke in their 2nd language, and they're like 10! I love em!

    And thank you! It's 1-1 with me and Thyra now. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlucky about havein little money but 3 packages coming my god how long till they come plus animals with no tails why did you not say us (humans) and Apes lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humans are excluded i'm afraid. And they'll take 2 months to arrive, so about the time i'm back. One of the boxes has a very special present for you, Craig in it. You will love me so much more than you already too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we're going to be pedantic all mammals have tails, even humans, you just can't see 'em. Same with the "great apes".
    So there Rachel.
    SO THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, i think you just broke my heart. :P

    ReplyDelete